Friday, March 19, 2010

Change is a Good Thing.....Right?

Changes happen all the time, sometime we notice and sometimes we don't. It can be a good change or a damning change--it affects people differently too. Some of us are resistant to change and others learn how to deal with transitions whether smooth or bumpy.

I found in the earlier stages of my life I as adverse to change, almost violently adverse. Now that I have children, a family, change is a constant. I have come to appreciate change more than I ever thought I would or could.

For instance, one rainy night my husband and I sat on our front porch in New York and decided if we didn't move out of that town ASAP we would never move. So in the rain, I ran out onto the front lawn with the FOR SALE sign and violently jammed it into the lawn.

In 30 days we were gone. 2500 miles away from everything we knew and it was a mighty change. We brought our son on our adventure which it made it even more crazy and fun! We made a significant life change by moving and we haven't had any regrets yet. Years ago I would have thought this move to be impossible. But we made it out here and love it. Then we had our daughter and our lives changed like you wouldn't believe. She was the complete antithesis of our son. She shook us to our cores. Our souls and sleep were nearly broken, forever. But then she changed and became this darling little girl who loves her pets and older brother and she became a dream.

Then of course there are things that never change. Like family. We do not have any contact with my husband's family. They have never seen our daughter and the last time they saw our son he was about 2 weeks old or a little older, but not by much. Sad isn't it. Maybe not. Because the other side of the coin is my husband's side. And to him it is not sad. It was a relief, a welcomed change in his life from their verbal abuse and downright ill feelings towards him.

So the act of change has multiple facets and to each of us a different definition even when in the same situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment